Other Free Encyclopedias » Medicine Encyclopedia » Aging Healthy - Part 4

Stroke - Causes Of Ischemic Stroke, Causes Of Hemorrhagic Stroke, Areas Of The Brain And Effects Of Damage

blood supply strokes bleeding

A stroke is defined as a sudden loss of brain function due to a blocked or burst blood vessel. There are two classifications of stroke, ischemic and hemorrhagic. Ischemic strokes account for approximately 80 percent of all strokes and result from blockage of the blood supply to the brain. Hemorrhagic strokes account for the remaining 20 percent of all strokes and result from bleeding in the brain. When the bleeding is in the brain itself, it is an intracerebral hemorrhage; if the bleeding occurs between the brain and the skull, it is a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

The brain needs a continuous and fresh supply of oxygen and glucose to function. Oxygen and glucose are carried in the blood and reach the brain through four arteries arranged in two systems. The carotid arteries in the neck carry most of the blood to the brain. The vertebral arteries in the spine join at the base of the brain to form the basilar artery. They supply blood to the core of the brain, which deals with vital functions. Any interruption of blood supply to the brain interferes with the brain’s ability to function.

Subjective Well-Being - Self-protective Strategies, Personality And Emotion Regulation, Sense Of Control [next] [back] Stress and Coping - The Stress Process Paradigm, Types Of Stressors, Individual Differences In Coping With Stress, Coping Responses

User Comments

The following comments are not guaranteed to be that of a trained medical professional. Please consult your physician for advice.

Your email address will be altered so spam harvesting bots can't read it easily.
Hide my email completely instead?

Cancel or

Vote down Vote up

over 6 years ago

A cerebral hemorrhage, or the bursting of a blood vessel in the brain, can lead to stroke. After the vessel disrupts, the brain will bleed, meaning that areas of brain cells may become deprived of blood or oxygen. The accumulation of blood also leads to swelling of the brain, and its expansion then causes pressure to be exerted upon the brain by the skull, further increasing damage. A subarachnoid hemorrhage is bleeding caused by a burst blood vessel that results in a build up of blood between the layers of the arachnoid membrane that protects the gray matter, which surrounds the brain. The bleeding affects the brain in a manner similar to cerebral hemorrhages, depriving cells of oxygen and creating pressure.
http://www.thebrainhealth.com/stroke-on-left-side-of-brain.html